The Geospatial-Intelligence (GEOINT) Standards Working Group (GWG) is a United States National System for Geospatial-Intelligence (NSG) forum serving the Director, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), in executing the Functional Management responsibilities authorized in NSG Directive FM 1100, 14 August 2014. The GWG establishes and maintains the GEOINT Standards Baseline located in the NSG Standards Registry. It provides the GEOINT Standards recommendations to the DoD and IC Joint Enterprise Standards process for citation in the Joint Enterprise Standards Baseline (ESB) hosted in the DoD Information Technology (IT) Standards Registry (DISR) [Account and PKI/CAC required].
The GWG leads and manages GEOINT standardization activities to meet the mission needs and strategic direction of the DoD Joint Information Environment (JIE) and the IC Information Enterprise (IC IE). It selects, adopts and prescribes standards that enable the discovery, access, use, integration, dissemination, exchange and exploitation of GEOINT.
The GWG also manages and coordinates efforts under the DoD Defense Standardization Program (DSP) standardization area of Geospatial Intelligence Technology for which NGA is the Lead Standardization Activity.
The GWG, with its chartered focus groups made up of subject matter experts that address topical issues related to GEOINT standards:
- Advances GEOINT interoperability at three levels: geospatial data exchange, network services, and systems
- Prescribes GEOINT standards for application and use within the DoD and IC for data architectures, respective systems, and interfaces to ensure interoperability with DoD and IC systems
- Captures, validates and documents NSG users’ emerging and future GEOINT standardization requirements and proposes recommendations to resolve GEOINT standardization problems
- Engages non-government standards bodies, technology consortia, and industry to influence and create common standards-based solutions
- Promotes solutions that facilitate interoperability, information sharing, reuse and portability with multinational partners, enabling joint operations
- Addresses issues related to GEOINT standards identification, adaptation, development, adoption, promulgation, implementation, compliance, and education
The GWG Focus Groups are the primary mechanism for Community engagement with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
GWG Upcoming Events All times are Eastern Time Zone
GWG Upcoming EventsAll times are Eastern Time Zone